[78-L] Where were the dubbed Caruso records made?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Feb 28 11:19:15 PST 2013

Ah, I had been looking thru the thread and other print sources, and had
not yet gotten to the film.  But although there is the possibility that
the contrast between the sound quality of the orchestra could overwhelm
the acoustical recording of the voice, there ARE ways that restoration
engineers have used that DO revitalize the recordings.  Stockham's
Soundstream is one -- but not necessarily the most successful.  I think
that my friends Ward Marston and Mark Obet-Thorn both feel that they
have their own ways of revitalizing the acoustical recordings.  To the
machine collectors here, as well as to the Nimbus Nitwits, playing the
records on acoustical machines is NOT one of them!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com