[78-L] Use it or Lose It: Sony issues Dylan bootlegs

Michael Shoshani michael.shoshani at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 06:40:11 PST 2013

On 02/13/2013 08:39 AM, Don Cox wrote:
> On 13/02/2013, Michael Biel wrote:
>
>> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> Did I miss something? UNRELEASED tracks will become PD? News to me.
>>> dl
>>
>> I think you have a good point here BUT perhaps there might be an
>> interpretation that FIXATION places the recording in copyright -- not
>> publication -- and that means that (at least in the EC) ALL recordings
>> have their clock started at fixation, not publication. THAT would be a
>> real kick in the pants!
>>

> I thought copyright in recordings had always started from the time of
> recording, at least in the UK.
>
> Regards

Publication has to count for something. I'm not sure what, exactly, but
there has to be a reason that American record releases carry the letter
P in a circle with the year of publication, in addition to the letter C
in a circle with the year of copyright, and British record releases
carry a "Recording first published ($YEAR)" notice.

MS