[78-L] V-Disc 315A

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Feb 12 15:32:44 PST 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Julian Vein responded to my query:

>> Looking for the source of "Just Friends" on track 2 of V-Disc 315A. There is a track from the Victor recording session of 17 November 1944, listed in the Charles Garrod Charlie Spivak discography as scheduled for Victor 20-1601 but unissued. Could this be that recording?
>
> Lord 10.0 shows the title as "This Christmas" without a mx no. Ty's
> RCA-Victor listing shows 20-1601 as being by Eddy Arnold?!

AAAAUGH! Yeah, that's the one..."This Christmas."

Thanks, Julian...once again, it appears my porous memory has failed me! Somehow I short-circuited to "Just Friends." Yeah, I thought I had come across the "missing" Spivak title from 17 November 1944 but I got the title wrong. The Eddy Arnold coupling is listed in the Abrams Files, and by extension the Online 78 RPM Discographical Project (Ty's site). Wouldn't be surprised if the Garrod listing is yet another phantom...what we REALLY need is a copy of the Spivak session sheet. I have yet to see a copy of 20-1601, regardless of coupling.

But thanks for that info on the V-Disc, even if it isn't the title I was seeking.

Take care,

—
Joe
—
“MMEEOOWW!!”—Douglas Fur and Kimberly Fur