[78-L] FW: Just a Closer Walk With Thee

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 10 05:58:04 PST 2013

The mid 1800s, according to this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/just-a-closer-walk-with-thee-vocal-classical-work

Just a Closer Walk With Thee is a popular spiritual whose words and music come
from anonymous sources. The melody is taken from a folk song, Closer Walk,
which probably dates to the early nineteenth century and likely from the
southern United States. The title and text of Just a Closer Walk With Thee are
drawn from the Biblical passage from 2 Corinthians 5:7: "We walk by faith, not
by sight." There are four verses to the song, though the refrain (second
verse), which begins with the title words, is repeated twice, the first time
after the third verse and once more after the fifth. The melody is sentimental
and will appeal to those with a taste for folk-ish styles of gospel music. It
comes in four phrases, the second and third starting higher than the last, the
final one closing the melodic contour with a firm sense of resolution and
triumph. The melody repeats throughout the song, much in the manner of those in
other famous spirituals, such as He's Got the Whole World in His Hands and When
the Saints Go Marching In. The text speaks of human weakness and asks Jesus for
strength via "just a closer walk with thee." ~ Robert Cummings, Rovi

Read more:
http://www.answers.com/topic/just-a-closer-walk-with-thee-vocal-classical-work#ixzz2KVLIV448

dl