[78-L] Is Nipper Trademark worth $78 million

Michael Shoshani michael.shoshani at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 18:51:44 PST 2013

On 01/25/2013 04:05 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Is ANYTHING public domain in the USA? Very doubtful. Also, the stores are
> thriving in Canada since they were taken over by another company a couple of
> years ago (and can still supply Naxos titles to US customers).

Here, for the record (ha!) is the sole live United States trademark
registration for everyone's favorite gramopup:

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71195205&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

In the row that says "Mark Information", click the "Expand all" button.
The nitty-gritty is under "Goods and Services":

RADIO APPARATUS, PARTS, AND APPURTENANCES--NAMELY, RADIO RECEIVING SETS,
[SOUND AMPLIFYING HORNS HAVING TELEPHONE RECEIVERS,] LOUD SPEAKERS,
[LOOPS,] [ MICROPHONES, ] RADIO RECEIVING SETS MOUNTED OR CONTAINED IN
CABINETS WITH TALKING MACHINES, RADIO RECEIVING SETS ADAPTED FOR
COMBINATION WITH TALKING MACHINES, RADIO RECEIVING SETS WHEREIN PARTS OF
TALKING MACHINES ARE USED AS PARTS OF RADIO SETS, WHEREIN TALKING
MACHINES ARE USED AS LOUD SPEAKERS, [AND WHEREIN THE SOUND AMPLIFYING
HORNS OF TALKING MACHINES ARE PROVIDED WITH TELEPHONE RECEIVERS AND [
MICROPHONES ]; AND FOR ELECTRICALLY-OPERATED TALKING MACHINES] AND
PARTS, SUPPLIES, [ACCESSORIES,] AND APPORTENANCES THEREFOR--NAMELY,
ELECTRIC MOTORS, COILS, TRANSFORMERS, [ RHEOSTATS, ] ELECTRIC SWITCHES
AND ELECTRIC STOP MECHANISMS

(That was a copy and paste; all misspellings are from the Federable
Gummint.)

As I look at this, is strikes me that this is actually a patent not for
a modern electrical radio-phonograph, but for basically a Victrola or
Electrola that was sold with a radio (not always RCA) whose sound was
transmitted through the internal horn.

Here are the four dead ones, all of whose Status fields say "This
registration was not renewed and therefore has expired.":

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71599017&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  TELEVISION SETS; TELEVISION AND RADIO RECEIVER SET COMBINATIONS; AND
TELEVISION-RADIO RECEIVER-RECORD PLAYER COMBINATIONS

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71586362&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  INSTALLATION OF, AND PERIODICAL INSPECTION AND REPAIR OF TELEVISION
RECEIVERS

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71242360&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  SOUND RECORDING AND REPRODUCING MACHINERY AND APPURTENANCES THERETO
AND PARTS THEREOF. TALKING MACHINES AND SUPPLIES THEREFOR,
TALKING-MACHINE CABINETS, TALKING-MACHINE AMPLIFIERS, SOUND BOXES FOR
TALKING MACHINES, AND SOUND RECORDS FOR TALKING MACHINES

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=71066696&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  SOUND RECORDING OR REPRODUCING MACHINES AND PARTS THEREOF,
TALKING-MACHINE NEEDLES, TALKING-MACHINE HORNS AND AMPLIFIERS, AND
TALKING-MACHINE RECORDS

MS