[78-L] How to keep 78s warm in a cold snap

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Thu Jan 24 08:28:56 PST 2013

Exactly.  Different rates of thermal expansion on both sides.  It's fortunate it returned to its original state.
With regards to records in garages, etc. I brought home a collection of over 8000 discs that were in an unheated shed and garage for the past 20 years before the estate sale the family had to clear out the house, shed and garage.  So they saw both heat and cold and they are fine.  The downside was probably the heat, not the cold.  When 78s are stored on an angle and they get warm they can warp pretty easily.  So I've been faced with flattening a bunch of records.  Regardless, sound quality is fine and seemingly no ill effect from the years in the shed/garage.  As others have pointed out, it's dampness which will be the bane of the quality of the disc.  If they get damp they'll get a grainy surface, if not mold which will cause more problems.
Glenn