[78-L] Sounds of Africa aka Charleston Rag

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:57:33 PST 2013

I've always felt that Eubie Blake's August 1921 solo, "Sounds of Africa," (Em 10434) was a pretty pivotal ragtime recording.
Like many, the first time I ever encountered it was on "A Jazz Piano Anthology" (Columbia KG 32355, 1973). That was a
genuinely horrible transfer, with a distorted note hanging on as though they put it through a filter set or some kind of
gate that resulted in that artifact. It actually conceals a bit here and there of what Blake is playing.

Listening to it on this YouTube video -- with its strange image and mention of Blake's 'orchestra' -- I guess this comes
from an original, or at least a different transfer from the Columbia LP. I'm hearing little details that seem different
from the LP version. Am I just hearing things covered up by the bad LP transfer?

Although I've never been able to land a copy, Em 10434 is reasonably common for what it is. The acknowledged take is "-4."
Has anyone encountered a different take, or perhaps the one used on KG 32355 is different from the issued 78? Perhaps the
blasting on the LP is natural and comes from a rejected take?

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com