[78-L] Song from 1933 film Viktor und Viktoria by Franz Doelle

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 20 20:34:58 PST 2013

Speaking of soundtracks, we were just watching Hans Christian Andersen (part of
TCM's 100th Birthday Danny Kaye blitz, which they turn out to be doing on the
wrong day and the wrong year). Haven't seen this one in over 50 years and my
over-familiarity with the Decca album and Gordon Jenkins' arrangements had kept
me away from it on purpose. Two things (aside from far more interesting
scoring) jump out.

(1) The Little Mermaid Ballet..no credit for the arranger, but this is one of
the best pastiches I've ever heard of music from one composer, in this case
Franz Liszt. Far better than what usually passes for ballet in film, the worst
example being the mutilated American In Paris (which is even worse on the album
because it was further chopped to fit 4 78RPM sides).

(2) Frank Loesser got his reprise! (Read the stories about Guys And Dolls to
understand that one.)

dl