[78-L] How do you pronounce "Gennett"?

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Jan 19 21:30:24 PST 2013

On 1/19/2013 3:47 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Scandinavians have problems with a soft G as well..
>> we had an engineer at the CBC who loved "dyazz".   dl
> There is no soft J, soft G, or leading H in Russian.  So it is Dzazz,
> Gollywood, and Gamlet, with hard G on the latter two.  They could use
> the guttural Ch for those latter two, but they don't. They even spell
> those two words with a G, and Dzazz with a D.

Here in the new world, we would use this set of American grammatic rules
to determine the way we attack an unfamiliar word.

"Genn" would be consonant, vowel, consonant, consonant. That would mean
that the "G" usually would be hard, the "E" short, as forced by the
double consonant "N"'s. As to the end of the word, you have vowel,
consonant, consonant with no "E" on the end. This would usually make the
"E" short and the ending sound diminished.
Same rules as found with the word "gannett"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gannett

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.