[78-L] BEER DRINKING MUSIC

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 09:28:56 PST 2013

--- On Sat, 1/19/13, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:

> The earliest one I have that has
> "beer" in the title is "Good Old Beer" by Bob Miller (aka
> "Slick Palmer") on the super-scarce black-on-blue Bluebird
> label (1826), recorded 12/29/32.

If we're limiting the search to US titles, we must
remember that prohibition fever swept the land during
the first couple decades of the 20th century, and
"glamorizing" Demon Alcohol was considered to be in
bad taste, even before it was outlawed.  But I'd bet
that if you look for "Bier" rather than "Beer"
you'll find a lot of examples in Germanic north
central Europe, where gramophones frequently provided
music in Gasthofen (pubs).