[78-L] Waveforms - Waveschmorms?

Wes Wes at lvcott.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 09:06:58 PST 2013

Malcolm,
The waveform shape will depend on the recorded material - something like a
flute will generally give you a fairly symmetrical waveform, but reed and
brass are more asymmetric.

As long as your stereo waveforms are continuously either in-phase or
antiphase throughout your cleanup files, that's perfectly OK. If not, there
was a recording fault. You don't need differently wired cartridges for
vertical and lateral recordings for transcription/cleanup if your software
lets you invert one of the stereo channels. As long as your final stereo
file has channels in-phase before converting to mono, you'll be on the right
path, and get that extra little bit of noise reduction.

Now please let me go back to lurking :) .. wes williams