[78-L] waveforms

Wes Wes at lvcott.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 05:50:52 PST 2013

Sorry folks, but I really must challenge what David Burnham has written.

Joe: When you say waveform, what you actually mean is you are looking at a
few cycles of the dominant frequency. If you scan through the waveform
you'll find it changes shape within milliseconds. Imagine if you had some
mains hum on the audio (say 50Hz 'cos the maths is easier). You'd need to be
looking at at least 20 milliseconds (the wavelength of a single 50Hz cycle)
to be able to see the effect of the hum, which would be a rise and fall in
the centre point of the dominant frequency waveform. The human voice is very
complex and contains a very wide range of frequencies including breathing
and chest resonance, so looking at the dominant frequency isn't the full
picture.

David: Energy doesn't have positive and negative. If you push or pull
something you are always using energy. Perhaps force is a better
description? But to continue with your terminology - the positive and
negative half cycles don't necessarily contain equal "energy" on a per cycle
basis. The only thing that we can say is that the sum of the "energy" in the
two parts of the cycle approaches zero as they are summed over a long
period. As a mathematician might say it TENDS to zero as time TENDS to
infinity.

.. wes