[78-L] Harold Arlen question

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Jan 16 14:13:42 PST 2013

As fas as I know, all those MCA GRD (US) / GRP (Europe) issues were unpleasant.
But in those years (1991) one was glad to be able to afford a CD.
I also bought the Eldridge, with amazing sides like the 1943 World ETs
"Jump Through The Window" / "Minor Jive", which I had on a worn Brunswick EP,
but I dislike the sound of the CD. I once saw it reviewed as "overbright" and that is what it is:
too shrill.

han enderman
===
>>> The reason this has come up is because the Living Era Harold Arlen CD has been
reissued as part of a double set on Retrospective, and in neither case was
WOODY credited with the vocal. Neither the labelmeister nor I have any idea how
that got missed, and the reissue has been reviewed in Jazz Journal, taking us
to task for implying that Arlen was the sole vocalist on this track.

As I recall, the MCA CD was a bad transfer. I can hear the overlap on my Naxos
issue. Slight, but there.

dl