[78-L] Harold Arlen question

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Jan 16 09:09:48 PST 2013

Long ago I made notes on microgroove issues of prewar jazz, and one of them is:

"10 Sep 1941: Blues In The Night: back-up vocal by Harold Arlen (from Franklin Mint)."

Herman titles were on FM Big Band Era 45 & 46 (mixed with postwar tracks), in 4LP Album 12 (= 45-48).
At the time I had seen the FM set in a library, but there is the possibility that I made the note after a review.
(I assume the title is not on the FM Jazz set).

The title is on an MCA CD: GRD 606, which only mentions Herman's vocal (as does the Garrod disco).

han enderman
===
>>> Confirmation needed (will settle for a bar mitzvah). Harold Arlen is the
fill-in voice on Woody Herman's "Blues in the Night", no? My source for this
was the Franklin Mint big band set (notes by George T. Simon, I think, but the
albums are in storage where I can't check them) and I've seen other references
but nothing I can point to right now. This is being questioned by a reviewer in
Jazz Journal, so I need to provide something firm. What sayeth the Lord?

dl
<<<