[78-L] The return of OKeh

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:15:19 PST 2013

Here's the PRESS RELEASE I got from Sony: SONY
CLASSICAL ANNOUNCES RE-LAUNCH OF
OKeh
LABEL AS PRIMARY JAZZ IMPRINT

Label
to Put Focus on New and Established Artists
Embodying
"Global Expressions in Jazz"

Upcoming
Releases by Bill Frisell, David Sanborn & Bob James,
John
Medeski, and Dhafer Youssef, Among Others

Sony Classical is proud to announce the re-launch of the historic
OKeh label. With the objective of documenting "Global
Expressions in Jazz," OKeh will focus on releasing
jazz by new and established artists that have a wide range of global
backgrounds. Initial releases during the first half of 2013 include projects by
Bill Frisell, David Sanborn & Bob James,
and John Medeski, as well as an additional five to seven
projects slated for release later in the year.

In the United States, OKeh will be part of
Sony Masterworks, Sony Classical's U.S. branch.

"What I want to achieve with OKeh is to build a home
for jazz and jazz related music of the highest quality, no matter what its
origins are," states Wulf Müller, the 29-year industry veteran
who recently joined Sony Classical as an exclusive jazz A&R and Marketing
consultant. Mr. Müller conceived the label's re-launch. "'Global
Expressions in Jazz' will mean improvised music from all over the
world, being used as a global language to communicate between lovers of
music. We hope to create a label that will define the present and future of the
music we call Jazz."

The announcement comes just months after the appointment of
Chuck Mitchell as the Senior Vice President for Sony
Masterworks. Mitchell previously served as Worldwide President of the
legendary Verve label and more recently as a Vice President at eOne Music. "The
re-activation of OKeh comes at a particularly auspicious moment
in the international evolution of creative music," says Mr. Mitchell. "Wulf's
knowledge of and commitment to jazz in all its facets and forms makes him the
ideal individual to lead the next chapter in the development of this
historically important imprint."

"With Wulf Müller and Chuck Mitchell as the ideal partners, I'm
thrilled that we are breathing new life into one of the coolest brands in
recorded music history," states Bogdan Roscic, President of
Sony Classical. "We feel there is currently an incredible wealth of exciting
music out there that will find a new home and thrive on OKeh.
And Sony Classical is the ideal platform for it - with specialized teams around
the world whose attention and expertise will benefit all OKeh
artists and their releases."

Founded in 1918, OKeh initially became well known for recording
artists in the classic jazz and blues traditions, including Louis Armstrong,
Duke Ellington, King Oliver, and Sidney Bechet.

Müller reflects, "OKeh's tradition as a label for
great improvised music of its time, its connection to some of the most
influential artists in the genres of jazz and blues, made it the perfect label
for us to use, as its history already stands for what we are aiming for: quality
in all aspects of the recordings and giving todays artists a platform to express
themselves, while at the same time opening doors to the future."

Upcoming OKeh Album
Releases:

April
9: John Medeski - A Different Time

May
(TBA): David Sanborn & Bob James - Title
TBA

TBA:
Bill Frisell Big Sur Quintet - Title TBA