[78-L] 78 rpm stylus question

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Wed Jan 9 12:33:10 PST 2013

That's interesting, Jeff. I was trying to figure out how to get a
frequency spectral analysis that would show the characteristics of the
affected stylus. Thanks for taking a look and identifying exactly
what's going on sound-wise. It's good to know that the "whistling" is
at 10.9 kHz. That might be outside the range for many 78s from before
WWII, but I also have quite a few great-sounding 78s from the 1950s in
my collection, and many of those have a frequency range that I would
guess goes well up to 20kHz. (Besides, I often prefer not to over-
filter earlier records -- even if there's no recorded signal above
10k, leaving just a bit of higher-frequency surface noise can trick
the ear -- quite convincingly -- that there is! I may be something of
a purist, but I prefer transfers that sound as "open" as possible, and
to my ears, that usually means avoiding aggressive low-pass filters.)

Now I just wish I knew what in the physical makeup of a stylus
assembly is causing this altered overall sound.

Bryan