[78-L] Count John McCormack Vol. VII, 1904-1906. "Produced to Pearl Quality Criteria"

Ryan Wolfe nextset4 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 10:57:04 PST 2013

In my experience the transfers on Pearl are always varying quality.     One of the worst CD's of 78's I've ever heard was the Mary Garden one they did, unbearable surface noise that sounds like when you play a Dolby tape of a noisy 78 with the Dolby turned off. .

Some McCormack ones I have on Pearl, like "Where The River Shannon Flows" exhibit all the same types of problems you mention.

Or "Music Of The Night" a collection of his late sides that was done by the late, esteemed Roger Beardsley, which unfortuately has artificial reverb and fake stereo-izing applied.

I'm a big fan of McCormacks's late HMV sides and pick them up on 78's when I can.   But on my to do list is to acquire the complete set of late recordings (on Pearl) that was transferred by Ward Marston.    I'm pretty confident that it will be good.