[78-L] Contemporary 20's music

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 07:53:07 PST 2013

On 09/01/13 15:07, simmonssomer wrote:
> Is this a joke? I've listened to a number of their tracks
> and to me they sound like my daughter's 5th grade orchestra
> which I attend only due to filial duty.
> The Pasadena Roof Ork is quite another matter.
>
> Al S.
I heard the Pasadena Roof Ork on TV the other day, and I was bored after
about 10 minutes. Thoroughly professional, but derivative. I would've
felt the same if they were trying to resuscitate Teddy Wilson, Dizzy
Gillespie or John Coltrane.

Why is it acceptable to treat 20s' and 30s' music like this, but not
later? If people are that interested in earlier music, then let them go
and buy the reissues.

      Julian Vein