[78-L] Victor "E" in runout

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Tue Jan 8 14:48:15 PST 2013

For several years, I've been puzzled by a large capital "E" in the
runout of some Victor records from the mid-late 1920s. I'm not talking
about the "VE" oval, but rather a standalone "E" sometimes stamped
directly below the "VE" bug. Today, I took some Victor records in my
own collection bearing that "E" and looked them up in the UCSB online
Victor discography. I noticed that the original file cards for all of
them carried some indication that the records were marketed "for
educational use." Aha! Could it be that the "E" in the runout
designates a record intended for educational use? Since I presume the
"VE" oval was stamped to indicate an electric recording for purposes
of royalty payments to Western Electric, perhaps Victor and Western
Electric had an agreement for discounted royalties on records made for
educational use? And perhaps the extra "E" was Victor's way of marking
the "educational" records? Can anyone confirm my theory? And if I'm
wrong, does anyone know what the "E" *does* indicate?

Thanks,
Bryan