[78-L] The stylus discussion has led me to a totally unrelated terminology question.

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Tue Jan 8 02:06:01 PST 2013

On 08/01/2013, David Breneman wrote:

> From: ERIC BYRON <bear128 at verizon.net>
>

>> Does one use the same/similar terminology when describing how one
>> records sound? Would this description be correct? Sound enters a horn
>> and is transmitted to a diaphragm. The diaphragm is connected to a
>> stylus bar. The stylus bar is attached to a cutting needle. The
>> vibrating needle scratches the sound into the record.
>
> That's basically correct, but the verb "scratches" implies a lot less
> precision than is achieved in the actual process. The groove is cut
> into the surface of a thick wax disk which is later plated with metal
> to produce a stamper, or a matrix for producing multiple stampers. The
> wax disk, whose surface does not survive this process intact, is then
> shaved down to a smooth surface and re-used.

"Engraved" would be a better word than "scratched".

The plating process comes from the process used to make metal printing
plates from wood engravings. You can print direct from a wood engraved
block, but metal blocks last longer and several copies can be made for
large print runs. The original illustrations for "Alice in Wonderland"
are an example of where this plating process was used (1865).

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net