[78-L] Betty and Bob

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Jan 6 08:41:59 PST 2013

I believe I've seen a Bob Stevens (Bob Stephens?) on a -D series
Columbia. Nope, I just looked. But I do have a photo of Stevens in an
orchestra leader's outfit posing with the Mills Brothers. If I can
locate it I'll scan it and put it up somewhere.
In any case I'm wondering if this is the same Bob Stevens that worked at
OKeh with my father in the 20s. He went on to be an indy producer for a
number of labels and remained one of my father's best friends throughout
his life. Due to laryngeal cancer in the late 40s/early 50s he had his
voice-box removed and was one of the first to use "The Buzzer" invented
by Western Electric to allow the voiceless to speak. As a kid I could
understand him with or without the artificial voice-box.
Malcolm

*******