[78-L] New DON RAYNO PAUL WHITEMAN book

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 13:17:29 PST 2013

Interestingly, Laird did not include the matrix in question (W404008) in "Moanin' Low", a work covering female popular vocals (in English) recorded from 1920-33 and which was published eight years before the OKeh discography. The Mildred Bailey section shows "What Kind o' Man Is You?" with Eddie Lang's orchestra as her only recording before 1931, and the Jeanie Lang chapter includes only her vocal refrain on the PW orchestra's disc of "Ragamuffin Romeo" (Col 2170-D) and the same title on the KING OF JAZZ soundtrack.
Perhaps the OKeh files show Jeanie Lang as the vocalist. If so, it wouldn't be the first time that this kind of inaccuracy existed. Most published sources show Bob Borger as the vocalist for George Olsen's recording of "I'm in the Market for You" (PBVE-54592, 9 Feb. 1930), but aurally it sounds very much like Fred MacMurray, and that's who I'm inclined to believe is the singer.
-HA