[78-L] Record collecting

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Sun Dec 30 12:00:21 PST 2012

On 30/12/2012, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

> If I didn't even chime in on this conversation, how can I be quoted?
> How existential!
> But since I'm here...
> What contains the oil? And what would you cut (clay?), and with what
> (bronze? stone?)?

The disc would be cut in beeswax. The cutting blade could be obsidian,
for instance. Then the wax original can be cast in bronze using the
lost-wax method. Electroplating was definitely not available.

I see the oil or honey as being in a clay pipe, like a water pipe.

> Seems that the time limit for the recording would depend on the oil
> container's depth and the weight's rate of fall.

Yes. And the diameter of the spindle the cord is wrapped around.

If everything went really well, you might get 3 minutes on a 12 inch
disc.

> Viscosity? I think honey would be way too thick, but it could be cut
> with water.
> Lo viscosity oil mo bettah.
> What fun!
> Mal