[78-L] Victor 24156 = HMV/Victor 24142 in Canada?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 29 10:13:27 PST 2012

Victor Canada did quite a lot of recoupling before 1925, because they were
building up their own popular catalog in the 216000 series and ignoring a lot
of American issues, to the consternation of the US brass. Post 1925 there are
also some switches, such as 20077 and 21010, both Zez Confrey records. 20077
has Dizzy Fingers and Kitten On the Keys in the States, but Dizzy Fingers and
Polly (from 21010) in Canada. There's a Fats Waller recoupling on Canadian
Victor in the early 30s as well (it's been mentioned, I don't have it here to
check).

As well, the 24000 series had been assigned as Red Label Classical in Canada in
1926, so when black label issues got to that number in 1932, they had to have a
zero in front of them for the Canadian issues.

For some reason, Wayne King's "Star Dust" and "Save the Last Dance for Me" are
shown in Rust as on a Canadian issue, 25171.

dl