[78-L] five favorite artists

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 29 08:28:08 PST 2012

On 12/29/2012 11:35 AM, Don Cox wrote:
> On 24/12/2012, David Lennick wrote:
>
>> I did a transfer for Allegro, but it was on their Opera d'Oro label
>> (CDO 1003 doesn't ring a bell). Results were not that great and we
>> omitted Beecham's talk because otherwise it would have required 3 CDs.
>
> The discs themselves are marked "Classico d'Oro".

You are correct..I couldn't find my file copy. That's the one.

> The solo voices sound OK in your transfer but the orchestra is muffled. I
> would guess that the curtains were drawn all round the walls in the
> Abbey Rd Studio One, where it was recorded. This seems to have been the
> usual practice at the time.

I had two complete sets on RCA 78s. One was pressed from stampers that seemed
to have been coated with chicken fat, or from mothers that had been reamed to
smooth out imperfections. I thought that only happened with ancient masters, as
in that lousy John McCormack Sings Again set.

dl