[78-L] Gennett recording files

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Thu Dec 27 18:43:29 PST 2012

Photostat ledger copies from 1916 - 1919? Not that I've found. I do have
copies made by George Blacker and Walter C. Allen ostensibly from the
original Starr ledgers (which have since disappeared).
Blacker and Allen's copies still survive (I have them as photocopies). I
do know that many of the vertical recordings made in NYC on the (US)
Starr label were also issued later on Gennett. And, further, that some
of the Gennett 4500 series were issued using both the circle and the
six-sided labels when they switched over from one design to the new one.
Both label issues are verticals.
The earliest ledger copies I physically have are (New York) 10/24 (mx
9141 on) and (Richmond) 10/24 (mx 12053 on). The earliest recording
cards I've seen are from (New York) June 06/20 (mx 8289) and none from
Richmond  I suspect that earlier ledger copies may be held by some older
collectors but, if so, they have not been forthcoming. If anyone out
there in 78-L land has such please let me know. We should talk.
Malcolm

*******