[78-L] five favorite artists

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Mon Dec 24 09:31:33 PST 2012

On 24/12/2012, David Lennick wrote:

> I did a transfer for Allegro, but it was on their Opera d'Oro label
> (CDO 1003 doesn't ring a bell). Results were not that great and we
> omitted Beecham's talk because otherwise it would have required 3 CDs.

My copy is dated 2001. Maybe a reissue.

> I thought Pearl issued the 1927 version, omitting the Pastoral
> Symphony (which for some reason was on a separate disc and not in the
> 78 album). I've wanted to find the RCA version but never found it in
> Canada or at a reasonable price anywhere else. And I did the earlier
> Handel suites and arrangements for VAI Audio way back when (1993).\

Amazon.co.uk list 34 used-and-new copies of the 1959 RCA Messiah, at
very reasonable prices.

The cheapest "new" is from All Your Music in California - they are
usually cheaper than UK dealers for new discs as they do not charge VAT.

The 1959 recording is by the Living Presence team and even in the
20-year-old transfer sounds much better than the 1947. A new DSD
transfer would be ideal, but seems unlikely.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net