[78-L] Danny Boy - a Christmas tune? Really?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 23 13:02:17 PST 2012

As someone who's worked in radio broadcasting and programming since 1965 and
has produced a few thousand reissues (CD and for online libraries) of good
vintage recordings, I'm appalled at the absolute crap that has come out over
the years and which probably still sells and which also gets programmed on
music subscription channels. I'm sure some of it must come from "Stars Sing
Their Asses Off At Christmas" compilations, which have some vague context and
significance when you know who the performers are but which are just torture
when thrown into a music mix. Today I was assaulted by some female singing
"Sleigh Ride", totally off key. If I had to guess, I'd say it was someone like
Drew Barrymore (who is also homely, a bad actress and an inarticulate moron and
will someone please tell me when her contract ends with TCM?).

Danny Boy is just fine as London Derriere when played by Sir Hamilton Harty and
the Halle Orchestra. Back to 78s.

dl