[78-L] Georgia On My Mind [was My Man From Caroline]

Ray kil at roadrunner.com
Sat Dec 22 12:30:56 PST 2012

I'm surprised you haven't heard the story before.  IMHO there's no reason to
think it was written about the state.  Over the years it has seemed to take
on the "state" connotation, since Georgia made it the official state song.

I never heard this part of the history before, but Wikipedia says the song
was written by lyricist Stuart Gorrell, about Hoagy's sister, Georgia
Carmichael.  I don't know if that has been verified but it sounds feasible.
RayK

From: Julian Vein
Does this refer to the state or a woman?

The following is ambiguous, and could be allegorical:

"Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you"