[78-L] song about women drivers

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 21 15:16:22 PST 2012

The Uncle Josh routine UJ Buys An Automobile has some comments from one
of the women about how "maybe the spindle is too tight or the bobbin is
threaded wrong" when Josh can't get the car started.  That relates women
to sewing machines -- but the men are just as clueless and Josh ends up
causing a disaster when the car does start.

Maybe there's a verse in "My gasoline Automobile" from around 1903 on a
Victor Monarch.  I have 2 copies but not here, and I don't remember if
it mentions anyone driving but him, and he keeps blowing a horn to get
people out of the way.  The final verse of Bert Shepherd's 1902 "And
Other Things Too Numerous To Mention" has a woman falling off a bicycle
"Her skirt was out of place, I saw frills and bits of lace, and other
things are numerous too mention."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com