[78-L] five least liked 78s (was - five favorites)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Dec 19 10:31:51 PST 2012

Never again?  Well,  I'd never say "never" but here are five which would at
least come close to a total ban:

1.   Goodman's "Sing,  Sing,  Sing"  Any of his recordings of it.  I never
liked it,  and now it's become yet another "period piece" cliché to use as
background music for movies and TV shows.

2.   Maurice Gunsky's (sad to say) immortal Victor of "Lay My Head Beneath a
Rose."  Dreadful song and made worse by industrial-strength rolled "r's."
Sure sold a lot of copies!

3.   Artie Shaw's "Concerto for Clarinet."  Sums up Shaw in a nutshell...too
often,  he just tried too hard to show what a great musician he was...this
"Concerto" is pretentious and boring.

4.    Chick Webb's Columbia of "On The Sunny Side of the Street."  One of
the most dreary "jazz" records I have heard or ever hope to hear...what
exactly is the point of this funereal dirge?

5.    Any record by the Art Kassel Orchestra.  I love sweet bands,  but
enough is too much.

Taylor