[78-L] five favorites

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Dec 18 18:44:41 PST 2012

Five only?  Argh.  Well,  I'll play the game but like somebody else said,
the list might change tomorrow.

But for December 18,  2012 I will say:

1.  Tommy Dorsey
2.  Sam Lanin
3.  Richard Himber
4.  Fred Rich
5.  Joe Haymes

The above are almost certain to be among the artists I would play if I
decided to spend a few hours with my 78s.

I'll just add one more individual record,  which I have listened to about 20
times this last week...the Dewey Jackson Vocalion of "She's Cryin' For Me."
But I've been playing it on line,  as my original 78 is not in super-duper
condition.

It's one of the most exciting jazz records of the 20s or any other decade
you could pick.  Exciting isn't really the right word...I actually get a
physical rush from Jackson's stop-time chorus and how he smoothly removes
the mute for the ride-out!

http://youtu.be/sOQxq2466Z0

Best to all from

Taylor