[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 22 -" Everybody loves Somebody"

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:50:09 PST 2012

I read the book a couple of times and I don't remember this coming up. But
it has been several years since I last read it. Coslow wasn't the sort of
person to bring this up, contrasting with Jerry Herman's book, where he
doesn't give details, but certainly is quite emotional over the Hello
Dolly/Sunflower situation. He certainly could have skipped it, but didn't.

When I first joined WB Publications back in 1979, a lot of the old guard
was still there. For this sort of situation, I used to ask a man named
Walter Evans, who had a memory that was simply amazing. If I mentioned a
case of this sort, he would find data from his office library and leave it
on my desk for me to read. What an education I received from these people!

As I said earlier, it all boils down to what was agreed at the time.
However, the courts tend to rule that since there are several new
technologies that generate income for songs, movies, etc., that the estates
should benefit from them. The other side of course is that this makes a
mockery of the idea of public domain. How much money do these people want
anyway? The original writers are long gone, but companies like Disney have
powerful people working in their favor.

This subject always generates a spirited discussion from my show-business
lawyer acquaintances.

Jeff Sultanof