[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 22 -" Everybody loves Somebody"

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:25:00 PST 2012

Now this is interesting. I checked ASCAPs website, and the song is there
with Coslow's name. When I worked at Warner Music, I used to use this song
in folios all the time. On no piece of printed sheet music was Coslow's
name listed, and I've never seen it listed on any recording.

Which makes me think of a possible scenario which took place with "Here
Comes Santa Claus" and other songs: Lane may have written the song without
ever hearing Coslow's song, Coslow heard it, took Lane to court, and a deal
was made for Coslow to collect royalties. In such cases, the rights to the
song usually remain with the publisher and the writers (in this case,
Sinatra Songs, and later Sands Music) with Coslow getting whatever percent
everybody agreed to, but him having no individual rights to the song. Of
course this is all moot until someone can produce the records of the court
decision, which would certainly spell out what Coslow's rights were.

Jeff Sultanof