[78-L] Bad taste is timeless

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:17:56 PST 2012

Examples of "Fairy" phonograph-lamps are in at least one, possibly two, of Tim Fabrizio and George Paul's books.  It's quite rare as much of it was made of pot metal and few examples ave survived intact; also, this was from the late teens-early 20s, and mains-current electric phono motors weren't generally reliable until the later 1920's, partially due to design problems and also due to lack of demand-compensating setups in city electric systems, which meant that house current fluctuated at various times.  They do play, not badly but not remarkably well as the sound exits the base.  They're amusing and ingenious (and a little bizarre) but not great instruments. PC