[78-L] Boardwalk Empire

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 6 13:48:33 PST 2012

On 12/6/2012 4:03 PM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Actually I'm surprised something like this hasn't turned up in Gillian's place
> (Boardwalk Empire). The machine, that is.
>
> dl
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Boardwalk Empire has been mentioned here a couple of times;  if it hasn't been mentioned already, did anyone else notice that the record being played near the end of episode one, in 1920, is a 1940ish "RCA Victor" Red Seal record?  It's surprising when the producers seem to have taken so much care to make sure everything looked authentic, when it would have been very easy to ask any collector to supply a "Victor" record from the period and when the locale of the series is New Jersey - the home of Victor Talking Machine.
>
> db

I mentioned that at the outset, although I don't know if it was on this list or
Toast of Noo Yawk. It was also a twelve-incher and that particular Caruso
record was ten inch. Also, don't you ever wonder how the records get changed in
some of those houses (ill or other repute) when there's nobody around? They've
also goofed on a couple of songs, using I'll See You In My Dreams and What'll I
Do, neither of which was published until 1924. We're still in 1923 at the end
of Season 3.