[78-L] Dave Brubeck dead at 91

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 13:20:24 PST 2012

On 05/12/12 17:19, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> Brubeck was one of my heroes. I learned many of his pieces when I was a
> kid and was ecstatic when all those multi-rhythmic tracks hit the music
> scene. Saw him and the Quartet at the famous Carnegie Hall concert. Thus
> passes one of the greats.
> Malcolm
>
> *******

The thing about the quartet is that it was a genuinely improvising band.
Both Dave and Paul were spontaneous players and didn't rely on favourite
phrases and cliches. Of course, Paul hit the target more often than Dave
(who seemed to rely on a "stream-of-consciousness" approach, which often
didn't go anywhere and got tedious). And they had a much larger
repertoire than, say, Monk, Miles Davis or Coltrane.

I don't agree that it necessarily became a better band through Morello
joining them though.

      Julian Vein