[78-L] Dave Brubeck dead at 91

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 5 11:05:48 PST 2012

On 12/5/2012 1:49 PM, Julian Vein wrote:
> On 05/12/12 17:20, Cary Ginell wrote:
>> I have five 78s by Brubeck, all on Fantasy. Does anyone know if "Take Five" was ever on a 78 - in Canada, possibly? Would love to find it.
>> Cary Ginell
>>

> ===========================
> It's unrequited love I'm afraid, Cary. Lord doesn't list anything that
> looks like a 78, and there's also an alternative take issued from the
> same Columbia session. However, this wasn't the first version he
> recorded. There was one from the Monterey Jazz Festival. September, 1958.
>
>        Julian Vein

I'd say not a chance, since it charted in September 1961, but there are always
those African and Patagonian 78s to surprise us.

I have a lot of Fantasy 78s, many pre-Desmond. Brubeck and Desmond figure
prominently in the soundtrack to "Next Stop, Greenwich Village" but all the
cuts are from a later period and the movie takes place in 1953.

Brubeck was one day short of 92.