[78-L] Ellington + Caravan, was Re: Fiend and the Jazz

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Dec 2 17:14:12 PST 2012

On 12/2/2012 4:37 PM, David Lewis wrote:
> "Caravan" was very swiftly integrated into the books of other bands; Benny Goodman's Ork was captured doing it in a live broadcast on 8-17-1937 (my birthday! on "Jazz Concert No. 2" aka "The King of Swing" aka "On the Air" via Columbia/Sony.) So I suspect that 1937 is the earliest likely date for the Fiend session, though the problem of General Television Corp.'s apparent demise on 1-1-35 is still a point of contention.  However, I suspect the date is 1938; look at the mx. numbers -- "19381" and "19382" could be read as "1938-1" and "1938-2" i.e. the first and second GTVC records made in 1938. Incidentally, Andre Kostelanetz' justly celebrated recording of "Swamp Fire" was made in about August or September of 1938. This sounds like a job for Donna Halper, but she's probably too busy to go chasing after this. But GTVC was based in Boston.

So it was with music in those days. The composer had more control for
the most part, and their work was usually available to more than one
artist. It was just another way for money to flow in the music business.
And sheet music still had a big audience, so there was money to be made
in sponsorships. Many of those offerings were never actually performed.
And when you went to see regional bands, they relied heavily in covers,
some of them quite uniquely arranged.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.