[78-L] Fats Waller Project: NEW VINYL Release from Rivermont

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sun Dec 2 12:29:01 PST 2012

Please forgive another shameless plug, but my Rivermont label has a
brand-new vinyl LP release (also on CD) that I think may be of
interest to 78-L members. It's an album saluting Fats Waller and His
Rhythm, played by a terrific young Chicago jazz group called the Fat
Babies. I know I'm biased, but these guys *really* get it! They have
that 1930s small group swing down. Most of the musicians are 78
collectors themselves, and they use their intimate knowledge of that
musical era to play authentically in the style of Fats Waller and His
Rhythm without copying the original records note-for-note. Paul Asaro,
noted stride pianist, led the session and really captures the humor of
Fats's vocal delivery without imitating Fats. The rest of the band
includes John Otto (reeds), Andy Schumm (cornet), Jake Sanders
(guitar), Beau Sample (bass), and Alex Hall (guitar).

Please stop by the Rivermont website and take look and a listen. The
record is called "What a Heavenly Dream: The Fats Waller Rhythm
Project" by Paul Asaro and The Fat Babies. It's available in crystal-
clear vinyl or standard black vinyl -- and all vinyl orders include a
complimentary copy of the CD as well.

http://www.rivermontrecords.com

We've also got new CD reissues of vintage recordings by Frank Westphal
and His Orchestra and The Shannon Quartet as well, with terrific
booklets by Mark Berresford (VJM) and Glenn Robison (Rapidly Rotating
Records), respectively.

Thank you for your purchases and encouragement that enable Rivermont
to keep going!

Thanks,
Bryan W.