[78-L] Fiend and the Jazz Hounds

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Dec 2 09:23:38 PST 2012

On 12/2/2012 6:43 AM, David Lewis wrote:
> Roger Wade wrote: David, I think you must be off by a year on the composition date for Hal Mooney's "Swamp Fire". Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra recorded it in New York on March 11, 1935 for their Brunswick 7414 release. >>> Roger, Very well; I didn't know there was a Nelson version and was going by Hal Kemp's. But Ellington himself -- via a recording credited to Barney Bigard -- did not get around to "Caravan" until December 1936. I guess the chart may have been around earlier, and Ellington didn't do very much in 1935 as his mother died and he took most of the year off. However it's hard to imagine that a local band would record it before Ellington did. Ot maybe it's not the same "Caravan" that we know?

Use of recording dates can be as inaccurate as those placed on sheet
music, but I did find a piano arrangement for Swamp Fire date 1935 on
Ebay. Lou Breese did it way much later.

A partially hand written score exists at the Smithsonian, date 1935.
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID:siris_arc_170393

As for Caravan, you may want to believe what is written here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_%28song%29
First done by an Ellington pullout band (with included the author)?

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.

Visit me at http://citroen.cappyfabrics.com