[78-L] Anachronistic music in films [was Are we allowed to quote people in a book or article when they submit something to the group?]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 01:32:20 PST 2012

On 24/11/12 13:53, David Lennick wrote:
> Funny you should mention that, because the movie SOME LIKES IT HOT makes
> reference to Joe E. Brown's boat being equipped with a new stack of Rudy Vallee
> Records. The movie occurs within two weeks of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre
> (1929) and Rudy might have had half a dozen Harmony's in release by that time,
> none of them chartbusters. (The movie also makes extensive use of "Stairway to
> the Stars" which hadn't been composed yet, but Matty Malneck was the music
> director so it suited HIS purposes to use it.)
>
> dl

Whilst in Spain recently, I was watching a programme about the FBI and
John Dillinger in 1933/4. What music do we hear accompanying the story?
"The Dipsy Doodle", "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company 'B'", Lena
Horne's "Stormy Weather" and "My Little Girl" (possibly Jimmy Revard),
all from about three or more years later!

      Julian Vein