[78-L] for Grey Gull history fans

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Nov 21 08:07:42 PST 2012

I just found the ad that was placed in the Boston newspapers about the
Grey Gull bankruptcy and the auctioning of whatever stuff it owned.  The
ad was in the Boston Herald, 22 November 1931.  It referenced:

"Trustee's Sale in Bankruptcy.  Bankruptcy No. 49316.  Office Machines,
phonograph records, and mailing list of GREY GULL RECORDS."

It said everything in the 19 Macallen Street South Boston location was
being auctioned.  It doesn't seem like there was much left in the office
by this point; one wonders if anyone did in fact decide they wanted the
28,000 Grey Gull Records-- I assume discount department scores scooped
some of them up?   Anyway, the ad listed the following as being
auctioned:  "2 Elliott Double Keyboard Electric Cutters,  1 Elliott
Stencil Cutters, Elliott Foot Power Addressing Machine, 2 Adding
Machines (1 Electric), Typewriter, 2 Hand Power Tabulating Machines,
Steel Shelving, Steel Lockers, 8 Truck Skids... 28,000 Grey Gull
Records. 200,000 mail order names.  By order of Joseph J. Tafuri,
Trustee, 73 Tremont Street, Boston Mass."