[78-L] Willie Howard on Gala

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Nov 19 14:49:02 PST 2012

Gala 1000-1002 are Willie Howard 115-120 (Album 1);
Gala 1006-1008 are Belle Baker 103-108 (Album 3).
Gala 1003-1005 are Album 2.
In the past the Nan Blakstone Album was mentioned as 2 (from spine),
but there was also an unnumbered Blakstone album (with same cover)
(and pres. the 2 refered to Blakstone vol.2).

I have images of 1003-A & 1004-A/B and their album cover.
These state ALBUM 2 (6 sides) on labels, with sides 1/3/4 mentioned,
in the same style as on the records of albums 1 & 3.
These must be mxs 109-114.
The allbum and the 3 available labels are credited to:
Frank Chase Saxophone Choir - described as Saxophone Sextet on labels.
There is no album title; only the band credit, and no nr on front.
1003-A, 114-2 is: Speak To Me Of Love;
1004-A, 109-1 is: Chopin Prelude Opus 28 No. 4;
1004-B, 112-1 is: (same): Rachmaninoff Prelude In C Sharp Minor.
The songs are listed on the cover in sequence, it seems, and thus:
1003-B Deep River
1005-A Dark Eyes
1005-B Song Of The Volga Boatmen.
Does anyone have details of the other mx.nrs?

The records of the Albums 1-3 exist with diff. label types.
Earliest seems to be a "gothic" label, with the word Gala in capitals
under a curtain (ARLIE Gala I).

I have label scans of Blakstone's:
1013-B-3, 1015(?)-B, 1016-B, 1020-A/B, 1021-A/B.
These use 3 diff. label variants of the Gala script label (ARLIE Gala II).

The inside of a Spivy album lists both separate Gala issues and some albums,
incl. Album # 70 Sheila Barrett.
1020/21 are listed as individual Blakstone records.
The Blakstone Album is unnumbered, containing 6 titels, including those
on 1013-B, 1015(?)-B & 1016-B, and thus these numbers might be mx.nrs instead of
release numbers. What are the numbers of these 6 titels?
1013-B-3 "___" Reared Its Ugly Head;
1016-B Who Brought Me Home.

han enderman
===
>>> Thanks..I knew there was something like that in the album liner but my copy is
in storage. And that info confused me as well. No doubt the album was reprinted
once or twice. And who are Messrs Danziger who are credited as producers on
both the Willie Howard and Belle Baker albums? I assumed they were Gala
Records, but Ben Lane has been named as the label's owner.

The Belle Baker matrix numbers are nos. 103/108, so there are 8 more masters
between that set and Willie Howard's. All are conducted by Harley Dainger, a
name I've seen only on this label. And the Willie Howard album is quite
possibly the worst recorded and the worst pressed of any major Broadway star.
Too bad, because the material is very funny, and the Jessel-Jolson-Cantor
sketch is brilliant.

(Comes the revolution YOU'LL EAT strawberries and cream!)

dl