[78-L] The new book on Columbia Records - "360 Sound" - A Formal Review

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 17 17:26:10 PST 2012

On 11/13/2012 10:35 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> Speaking of Columbia, Mr. Geoffrey Wheeler also has an
> interesting opus concerning that label's history and possible nefarious doings
> over the years.

I hope the Wheeler book has fewer typos. Granted, I ordered 360 Sound in
August and paid the $26-ish pre-release price when it shipped, but good
lord.

This big, fifty dollar book references Bob Wills and his Texas Palyboys
(sic), says that Goddard Lieberson was passed over for the post of
president because he lacked business experience, even though he knew his
way around "contrats", credits Flatt & Scruggs with composing and
performing The Ballad Of Jed Clampitt (the spelling is Clampett), and
misspells Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro's surname as Pocarno.

That's just what I recall off the top of my head. I'm sure a more
in-depth perusal will be some copy editor's goldmine. Or minefield.
Either way, the lack of proper copy editing and name-research is glaring.

MS