[78-L] The new book on Columbia Records - "360 Sound" - Tommy Rockwell

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:09:35 PST 2012

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 06:28:12 -1000
> From: malcolm at 78data.com
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Subject: Re: [78-L] The new book on Columbia Records - "360 Sound" - A Formal Review
>
> According to some historians (well... Ken Burns anyhow) it should have
> been a jail sentenance.
> Tell me what it was, Steve, and I won't have to buy the book!
> Mal

He's mention on pages 60, 67 and 91 Mal (I had to get out magnifying glass to read the HUGE "Index"

On page 60 there are two full paragraphs and they refer to him as "energetic".  Also as "brash hard-drinking"  and traveling across the south "building on (Ralph) Peer's example

I looked on page 67 and nothing. (that's the page devoted to Armstrong)

Page 91 - This is section on John Hammond and mention of "dad" is That though Hammond "reightly became the peredominent gfigure in most histories of columbia he was hardly the only one. "Tommy Rockwell, late of OKeh and then Brunswick Records, oversaw the entire program as the firm's General Manager".  That's it.

Honestlt dor under $30 including free shipping - which I understand Amazon was pricing advance orders at - It's not a bad book to have and look through. Of course I don't know if Amazon shipped free to Hawaii. This sucker is DAMN HEAVY! (Almost 6 pounds!)

Steve