[78-L] Johnny Marvin Signed Test Pressing Label?

Clifford Bolling 78records at cdbpdx.com
Sun Nov 11 13:36:51 PST 2012

Greetings.  Hopin' someone can help with this -

I would like to confirm whether this could actually be a Johnny Marvin signed record label:

http://pdx78s.cdbpdx.com/JMTP/JMTP.html

I've looked at a bunch of Johnny Marvin's sheet music with his signature and it seems to consistantly match pretty well.

This is a Victor test pressing from 1930.  Would it be really unlikely that an artist would make a note on a test pressing
label like this?

Listen to a sample here:

http://pdx78s.cdbpdx.com/JMTP/Sample01_LAZY-LOU-SIANA-MOON_Johnny-Marvin_VICTOR-Test-Pressing_Take-2-cr_.mp3

This is the unissued Take 2 recording with the Nat Shilkret orchestra.  The issued release was Take 4 with the Leonard Joy orchestra, recorded a few days later.

Thanks!

Cliff