[78-L] turntable hum mystery

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Fri Nov 9 19:21:12 PST 2012

On 11/9/2012 4:16 PM, David Breneman wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/8/12, neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Later I was thinking I was hearing much hum from the records. Surely
>> they didn't record that much hum in so many records did they? Upon
>> further investigation, it appears not to be from the records. It is
>> only
>> when the table is on and the stylus in contact with the record.
>> Lift the
>> stylus even the tiniest bit and the hum goes away. Turn the thing off,
>> even with the stylus on the record, and the hum goes away.
> Sounds to me like a vibration.  Is is possible to set the
> stylus down so it touches the turntable base while the
> turntable is running?  I had a jukebox that was exhibiting
> this exact same problem.  It sounded for all the world like
> a 60 Hz leak from a bad rectifier, but it was rumble.

If the head is removable, you could try dismounting it and reattaching
it a few times. Oxidation on the contacts can sometimes produce
problems. Also make certain that the leads from the tonearm are not worn
through somewhere. Check all connections to the amp, cleaning the ends
with contact cleaner and inserting them several times to wear off
oxidation. Recheck all grounds.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.