[78-L] turntable hum mystery

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Fri Nov 9 13:18:25 PST 2012

Hum is almost always caused by having two different paths to ground.  Is it
amplifier and integrated unit with radio, or amp connected to a radio, that
is itself connected to cable or an antenna?  The two grounds would be the
wall socket pin and the earthed cable/antenna connection.  If there IS only
one ground point, and it's a separate phono preamp, then try connecting the
cartridge ground wire to the amp instead of the preamp.  Also, last resort,
separate the turntable metal parts from the electrical ground of the
cartridge, connect cartridge ground to preamp and turntable chassis to amp,
which is then grounded to the wall.  START with making sure there isn't more
than one path to Earth ground.

Steve Williams  ..

Message: 2