[78-L] Alec Templeton...and others

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Wed Oct 31 14:34:34 PDT 2012

Alec Templeton was a blind pianist and
comedian.  Had his own radio program during
the 1940s, and made some 78 rpm discs.  He
ran competition to Victor Borge, but I think
his performances were less visual.  I have some
of his 78s as they appeared on CDs.
    Anna Russell was also a very funny person.
She distilled Wagner's Ring cycle.  "Remember
the Rhine Maidens?" And taught folk singing!
    PDQ Bach is the chronicler of the fictitious
composer.  If you entered one of his contests
you could win the complete works of Vivaldi,
recorded on convenient 45 rpm discs.  His
real name is Peter Schickele.  I especially liked
his show in which he broadcasted from a barn
in Hoople, ND -- and blew out the side of the barn.
His program came from the fictitious University of Southern North Dakota.
And there was his narration of the opening of
Beethoven's 5th symphony, broadcast as if it were
a baseball game.
    Ted
Ted Kneebone
1528 S. Grant Street